WESTGATE AND WESTBROOK
MINUTES OF A SHORT GENERAL MEETING HELD AT THE TOWN HALL BUIILDINGS FOLLOWING THE AGM ON 11th MAY 2015 AT 8.00 P.M.
MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING (13th April 2015)
These were circulated, and adopted on a prop. by Samantha Heald sec. Stephanie Sutton, and signed.
1) Waste/Litter Bins on Sea Front. Westgate was now adequately supplied with these, but it was pointed out that Westbrook was still short of bins. It was also noted that the collections of paper for recycling from the bin in St Mildred,s Bay car park were not frequent enough resulting in the paper causing litter. Cllr Ash Ashbee said she would give attention to this.
2) TV Reception. Residents who have been affected by the Superfast (4G) Broadband Masts may phone for help and information, the telephone number is available at the Bake House.
3) Lids Missing from Litter Bins. This would not help the situation regarding rats, and Cllr Ash Ashbee said she would inform the TDC.
4) Libraries. No further information had been received from KCC, enquiries would be made with KCC Cllr Jeff Elenor.
5) Surveyors had been seen measuring land by Belmont Road, it was thought likely that they were working for the Quex Estate.
6) Walmer Castle. This pub had now closed and may be converted to flats, Chris Wyer of the CAAG is keeping his eye on it, and also the pub at Westbrook.
KCC Warden Laura Bungard:
1) The plot of land referred to by Tom King was now thought to belong to TDC.
2) Various Reports. Potholes 21 had been reported. Parking Fines x 4. Grafitti incidences x 3.
3) Sherwood Court. Disability ramps are to be placed where appropriate, and referrals to social services for visits made where necessary.
4) Station Road Car Sales. There had been cars parked at the end of the road for sale. This is legal at the moment but TDC are looking into it.
5) PCSO Sean Ritchie is to help where there are problems with youngsters smoking and using drugs and drink.
6) KCC Warden's tel no is 07969 583922.
CORRESPONDENCE & PLANNING
1) Westgate Parish Council will be informed of applications etc. and will bring this report to meetings to seek the residents' views.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
1) Westgate Bay Avenue Crossing. As the originally suggested site for this may be changed there has been a delay as costs could be higher.
2) Canterbury Road Westbrook. A member pointed out that part of this requires resurfacing.
3) Alcoholics Anonymous. There is to be an open meeting, all invited, on 28th June at 10.00am at the Bake House so that local residents can see how they operate.
4) Invitations to W&WRA meetings. Sylvia Sykes asked that all local councillors be invited to attend and this will continue.
5) Houses Protest. Hannah Scott had seen people on the Quex Estates measuring out land and houses which was an aggressive gesture as the consultation period was still underway. There is to be a protest at the Quex gates, details to be announced. Cllr Ash Ashbee felt there was a need to remind Quex that they have an obligation to local people. Don Eacott said if they produced plans with housing too dense, and on agricultural land we would have a good case to argue. Tom King said that local plans are necessary so that development is controlled, and Westgate needs to grow proportionately. The local plan in Dover has been challenged, and Tim Ingleton is very aware of all the facts concerning the Westgate and Garlinge area.
DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Monday 8th June 2015 7.00pm for 7.15 again at the TOWN HALL BUILDINGS as the Westbrook venue is unavailable.
There being no further business, Richard Charlton thanked all for attending and the meeting concluded at 8.33pm.
WESTGATE AND WESTBROOK
MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING HELD AT THE TOWN HALL BUILDINGS ON MONDAY 11TH MAY 2015 AT 7.15P.M.
Tom King, chairman, forty two members, Cllr Ash Ashbee, and KCC Community Warden Laura Bungard.
The chairman welcomed all to the meeting.
Apologies had been received from PCSO Sean Ritchie.
MINUTES OF THE LAST AGM (12th May 2014)
These as circulated were adopted on a prop. by Don Eacott, sec. by Derek Smith, and signed.
There were no matters arising.
Chairman Tom King:
1) Rat Infestation. Residents from the Sea Road area had alerted local councillors, and Tom king had spoken to chief executive Madeline Homer, and the problem was now in hand.
2) Lymington Road. Residents have had issues with parking, pavements, and potholes. The piece of land in question belonged either to KCC or TDC.
3) Campaign Against 1000 Houses. This had been ongoing for some time and involved Westgate and Garlinge, Hannah Scott had set up a facebook page. There had been reports of surveyors on land owned by Quex Estates which was considered a premature and aggressive stand at this stage as the consultation period was only halfway through.
4) New Councillors. Following the elections there are three new councillors for Westgate, Samantha Bainbridge, Carol Partington, and Bert Braidwood. Tom King thanked all for their support during his time as district councillor, and told the meeting that the new Westgate-on-Sea Parish Council will be meeting on Wednesday with Mr Richard Styles stewarding. A notice board will be set up, and Tom hoped the Parish Council will be of real benefit to local people. Tom said he would not be continuing as W&WRA Chairman as he may be chairman of the Westgate-on-Sea Parish Council. Ron Rolfe, on behalf of the W&WRA proposed a vote of thanks to Tom King for all his work for the Association and the community over the years. This was unanimously agreed and warmly applauded.
The report was given by Samantha Secomb. The W&WRA is still solvent, and the books are almost balanced and the accounts should be available by the end of the month.
The bank balance as at 30th April 2015 stands at £4,105.
Derek requested copy for the next magazine issue by 21st June.
MEMBERSHIP SECRETARY’S REPORT No Reports.
Cllr Ash Ashbee one of the new councillors for the Westbrook Ward said she will be setting up a surgery, and will shortly be allocated an official email address, and will do her best to support the area.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE
The following nominees had been proposed and seconded, and were duly elected:--
Chairman Richard Charlton
Vice-Chairman NO NOMINATION
Secretary Richard Charlton
Treasurer Samantha Secomb
Minute Secretary Chris Whittingham
Editor Derek Smith
Social Organiser Jane Welch
Membership Secretary Rosalind Morton
Sunshine (Visitor) Friend Mavis Vaughan
Press Officer NO NOMINATION
Committee Members Abigail Carden
ANY OTHER (AGM) BUSINESS
There being no other business, the chairman closed the AGM at 7.50p.m.