Saturday, 22 April 2017

WESTGATE AND WESTBROOK RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION meeting 10 April 2017

WESTGATE AND WESTBROOK
RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF A GENERAL MEETING HELD AT THE BAKE HOUSE ON MONDAY 10th APRIL 2017 AT 7.15PM.


PRESENT
Allan Harris (who chaired the meeting), nineteen members, and WTC Cllr Tom King. 

APOLOGIES
Apologies had been received from Stephanie Sutton, Mick Tomlinson and KCC Warden Laura Bungard.

The chairman on behalf of members warmly thanked Muriel Atkins for all her hard work not only as social secretary but also for filling the gap as editor and producing the magazine over the past year.  Good wishes were expressed for Muriel's move of home which is shortly to take place.   

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The minutes of the last meeting, (13th March 2017), which had been circulated were agreed as a correct record on a prop. by Don Eacott sec. By Mavis Vaughan, and adopted, and signed.

MATTERS ARISING
1) 36, Westgate Bay Avenue.   Chris Wyer (Westgate CAAG) reported that permission had been granted to remove trees at this site.  Regarding replacement of the wall it was understood that the enforcement officer is monitoring the case.  
2) Car Parking Charges.  Due to the large increases it has been observed that the car parks have been almost empty whilst adjacent roads have been full with parked cars, especially during  the recent good weather.  It was thought that some coast roads are to have parking meters.  

REPORTS: Councillors-KCC, TDC, WTC.  PCSOs and Wardens.

WTC Cllr Tom King:
Cllr King gave an update of the work of the council.
A new town clerk had commenced work.
A newsletter is coming out shortly with the WTC report on services that have been taken up and how money has been spent.    Street cleaning and youth services will benefit, the latter for six months with £4,000 as youth funding has been withdrawn and it will take about this time for the application for charity funding to be processed.
Events and Tourism.  The pancake races will be reinstated next year, and the remembrance service and parade will be organised by the WTC with the local churches.  The coastal communities team funding will be managed by Cllr Martyn Pennington, a defibrillator will be obtained for the  town, and beach shelters will receive attention. 
A tipper lorry has been promised from the TDC, training is taking place, and the small amount of street cleaning done by the TDC will then be supplemented.
By 2020 there will be no more support from central government.
WTC will control and protect the football field and community green which are assets which will be managed and kept for the people of Westgate, to this end there is legal work in progress.
A public meeting is to be held on 27th April at the Community Centre at 7.00pm when there will be a presentation and report and questions invited.

CORRESPONDENCE
None.

PLANNING  
1) Cinema Licence Extension Application.  This would have extended the opening times until 3.00am, and has been turned down but may be subject to further discussion.
2) Harbour City Chinese Restaurant.  Application for extension upwards and at the back in order to add four flats.
3) 4, Bowes Avenue.  Members had expressed concerns about the loss of off road parking spaces, and the high fence erected at the front.
4) Radio Mast by Library.  Chris Wyer informed the meeting that there was likely to be an application submitted for this.

TREASURER'S REPORT   
In the absence of Sam  Secomb there was no new report.  As reported at the last committee meeting on 27th March 2017, the bank balance stood at £6,057, all bills are paid up to date, and the accounts should be ready for the AGM.

EDITOR'S REPORT
None.  

SUNSHINE REPORT
Mavis reported that a few cards had been sent out this month, including one to our Warden Laura following the death of her father.

MEMBERSHIP
Christina reported a delay in production of the magazine, but hopefully these should arrive by the end of the week.  As the AGM will be on the 8th May there was a discussion whether it would be best to deliver the magazines before or after this, the opinion of the meeting was that they should be delivered as soon as possible.  Postal votes for the AGM were discussed, but the present constitution does not make allowance for this procedure.

CIVIC REPORT
Westgate Heritage Centre:  Next meeting is Saturday 6th May at St Saviour's Church at 10.30am when there will be an illustrated talk “Danehurst and William Benet Rogers” by Dr Dawn Crouch.

Margate Civic Society: Next meeting is Thursday 11th May when the Town Pride Awards will be made.

SOCIAL
1) Easter Tea and Party.  This had been enjoyed by members earlier in the day.
2) Sunday 23rd April.  Afternoon tea, book with names on the notice board. 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS
1) Dog DNA Identification.  It was reported that TDC were interested in this system which would hopefully reduce uncollected dog excrement.
2) KCC Elections 4th May.  It was noted that no list of candidates had been seen as yet.
3) Westgate War Memorial.  James Brazier informed the meeting that this was now listed grade II, and would therefore have more protection.
4) Westbury Road.  Resident expressed concern about car parking on the  pavement which made it difficult for pedestrians, prams, and invalid transport. Cllr Tom King recommended contacting the town clerk or bringing it to the attention of the Annual Town meeting.  

NEXT MEETING
 Monday 8th May, at the Westbrook Bowls Club, 7.00pm for 7.15pm when the AGM will be held, followed by a short General Meeting.


There being no other business the meeting concluded at 8.35pm. 

Thursday, 23 March 2017

WESTGATE AND WESTBROOK RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION Minutes March 2017


WESTGATE AND WESTBROOK
RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF A GENERAL MEETING HELD AT THE WESTBROOK BOWLS CLUB ON MONDAY 13th MARCH 2017 AT 7.15PM.


PRESENT
Mick Tomlinson (Ch) and twelve members. 

APOLOGIES
Apologies had been received from Muriel Atkins, Allan Harris, Christina Taylor, and KCC Warden Laura Bungard.

The chairman briefly commented on two items of correspondence received, one concerning a committee member who had stepped down, and the other concerning a member's funeral.  Replies had been sent and it was hoped that the W&WRA could now move on.  

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The minutes of the last meeting, (13th February 2017), which had been circulated were agreed, adopted, and signed.

MATTERS ARISING
1) 36, Westgate Bay Avenue.   Chris Wyer (Westgate CAAG) reported that there are ongoing enquiries concerning the trees and a reply is expected shortly..  
2) 147, Sea Road.  It was noted that planning permission is not normally required.
3) NHS.  Future planning may include four major surgeries for Thanet, but smaller surgeries will be kept.
4) Barnes Car Park Rubbish.  This had been cleaned up but subsequently a great deal more rubbish had appeared.  Tony Sykes noted that a proportion was of containers from MacDonald's who could be asked to supply/sponsor litter bins.  Mick Tomlinson had requested notices in 2016 but so far these had not been forthcoming.
5) Car Park Charges.  There is to be an enquiry into the increased car park charges.  Among others the new charges at Dreamland and St Mildred's Bay will deter locals and visitors.
6) Local Plan Consultation.  The period  of consultation has been extended.
7) Manston Public Enquiry.  This starts on Tuesday 14th March at the Council Chambers.
8) Westbrook Promenade Repair.  This is in hand.
9) Bus/Cafe.  There is a double decker bus by the Nayland Rock in use as a cafe.  

REPORTS: Councillors-KCC, TDC, WTC.  PCSOs and Wardens.

KCC Warden Laura Bungard:
The report had been sent in and was read out.
February had been a busy month dealing with the usual items, highways, rubbish,
fly tips, parking, untaxed vehicles etc.
Laura is available in the weekdays, tel no 07969 583922 and by email laura.bungard@kent.gov.uk  there is also a notebook stored in the Bake House for concerns from residents that  require Laura's attention.


New PCSO Tom Daley had not been seen as yet, and it was agreed that he should be invited to look in at the Bake House to meet some of the residents.

CORRESPONDENCE

1) Police Community Messages (by email).  Cold callers had been experienced in the area claiming to be deaf and selling paintings/drawings, and also members had had callers selling items for “Lighthouse” ex servicemen.  Both are scams.    

PLANNING  
1) 11, Cliff Avenue.  This is  a large house converted for use as a play school for handicapped children.  The owner had all the necessary qualifications but had failed to apply for planning permission or change of use.  This would have to be retrospectively applied for or another premises sought.
2) 7, Old Crossing Road.  Application for erection of rear extension.
3) 159, Sea Road, (Bickley).  Application for two storey side and rear extension.
4) 48, St Benets Road.  Application for erection of extension with dormer windows.
5) 17, Norman Road.  Retrospective application for lantern window GRANTED. 
6) 4, Bowes Avenue.  Application for alterations to roof to facilitate loft conversion together with three roof lights to front and one dormer window to rear elevation.
7) 5, Gordon Grove.  Application for erection of porch to front elevation.
8) 5, Beach Houses, Royal Crescent.  Application for change of use from care home to one 1-bed, one 2-bed, and one 3-bed self contained flats.
9) West Bay Cafe.  Application for erection of first floor extension with terrace and modifications to public steps to create disabled access. GRANTED.
10) 31, Rancorn Road (was Abbeyfield).  Application for change of use from sheltered housing to five self contained flats with single storey rear extension following demolition of existing conservatories. GRANTED.
11) 1, Westleigh Road.  Application for erection of one 2-storey building following demolition of existing garage. GRANTED.

TREASURER'S REPORT   
In the absence of Sam  Secomb there was no new report.  As reported at the last committee meeting the bank balance stood at £5,781, and the accounts were being prepared for auditing.

EDITOR'S REPORT
Pat Sawyer-Jones reported the next issue should be out at the end of the month.  Our editor Muriel Atkins will be moving away and will be much missed.  

SUNSHINE REPORT
It was reported that Elsie Wellingham, wife of Ron Wellingham had passed away the  previous week.  Mavis will be sending a card to Ron on behalf of members.

MEMBERSHIP
No special items to report.

CIVIC REPORT
Westgate Heritage Centre:  Next meeting is Saturday 1st April at St Saviour's Church at 10.30am when there will be an illustrated talk “Westgate-on-Sea in the 1950s” by Sally Whitworth, the Heritage Centre's Newsletter Editor.

Margate Civic Society: Next meeting is Thursday 6th April when a talk will be given “Dalby Square Townscape Heritage Initiative and Margate Coastal Park” by Sam Causer, Lecturer and Architect.

PRESS & SOCIAL
No reports. 

ANY OTHER BUSINESS
1) Westgate Library. It was reported that a footfall count is in progress and residents are encouraged to use the library as much as possible.
2) Fences.  Chris Wyer reported that several properties had had fences put up at the interface between the garden and the roads in Westgate Bay/Westbrook Avenues.
3) Litter.  It was noted that that recently there had been publicity for Broadstairs on Radio Kent for litter picking sessions, and that it would benefit Westgate/Westbrook in a similar way.  Shortage of litter bins had been noticed by the  Westgate litter pickers.
4) New Street Trees.  Concern was expressed about the  lack of follow up maintenance for new trees by St Saviours.
5) Garden Recycling.  There had been problems when the  collecting vehicle had been unable gain access to Hockeredge Gardens, and on days when garden recycling had been refused to residents taking it to the amenity site.
6) East Kent Councils.  A full council meeting takes place this week which will end up with a vote on whether to join with the other councils as one authority. This should save up to 6M£ in the first year.
7) Nominations Sheet.  After the meeting this will be posted in the Bake House so that a new committee can be elected at the AGM on 8th May  

NEXT MEETING
 Monday 10th April, at the Bake House, 7.00pm for 7.15pm. 


There being no other business the meeting concluded at 8.45pm.

Saturday, 25 February 2017

WESTGATE AND WESTBROOK RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION meeting February 2017

WESTGATE AND WESTBROOK
RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION

MINUTES OF A GENERAL MEETING HELD AT THE BAKE HOUSE MONDAY 13th FEBRUARY 2017 AT 7.15PM.


PRESENT
Mick Tomlinson (Ch) and twenty six members, and WTC Cllrs Tom King, Dave Morrish, and Ron Rolfe. 

APOLOGIES
Apologies had been received from Derek Smith, Stephanie Sutton, Mavis Vaughan, and KCC Warden Laura Bungard.

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The minutes of the last meeting, (9th January 2017), which had been circulated were  amended, agreed, and adopted.

MATTERS ARISING
1) FIDO Dog Excrement Clearing Vehicle.  Several members expressed concern as to the efficiency of this as it has been seen moving at speeds in excess of 25mph. 
2) 36, Westgate Bay Avenue.  Members had observed the removal of trees from the site by the developers.  Chris Wyer (Westgate CAAG) reported that there had been agreement to remove those at the side but not the tree at the end of the site.  Don Eacott pointed out that the developers need to be made aware that the flints and wall material should be stored ready for the replacement wall as agreed.  
3) Westgate CCTV.  The W&WRA has always been supportive of this and made an annual contribution, and had invited the Town Council now that we have one, also to join in with this responsibility, one way in which the two organisations could be seen to be working together for local residents..  WTC Chairman Tom King pointed out that correct procedure would be to write a formal letter to the Town Clerk for consideration.

REPORTS: Councillors-KCC, TDC, WTC.  PCSOs and Wardens.

WTC Councillor and Chairman Tom King:
1) NHS Modernisation.  Suggested plans for Thanet are to have four super surgeries to cover everybody.  This has only just come to light and will need discussion at patients' forums.  There is to be a meeting with Dr Tony Martin on 21st February in the Global Generation Church building where it is hoped more information will be forthcoming. 

TDC Councillor Mick Tomlinson:
1) Westbrook Issues.  There is awareness of the following problems, Fido Vehicle, promenade seating breaking up, graffiti, shelters, which are being looked at, but no action taken due to financial restraints.  Cllr Tom King said
that in Westgate the WTC was trying to remedy this, and now had two new sweepers who will also remove graffiti, fly tips etc in addition to the services already supplied.
2) Dog and Duck Site.  Work has commenced for the luxury flats to be built behind which there is a proposal for a small terrace of houses and a car park.
3) Promenade Damage.  Recent damage near St Mildred's Bay and also in Westbrook near the new houses are the responsibility of TDC.  Fly tips occur regularly by Barnes car park behind the beach huts.  Cllrs Mick Tomlinson and Ash Ashby had  observed this and emailed appropriately and will follow this up.

KCC Warden Laura Bungard:
The report had been sent in and was read out.
January had been a busy month, with helping vulnerable elderly, dealing with fly tipped rubbish, parking issues in and around St Mildred's Road and Station Road, advising on security, highways issues (potholes, lines refreshed), and untaxed vehicles.  There is a new service in Thanet called “Kent Karrier” which is a dial a ride service with a joining fee and a small fare for each journey, eligibility applies, Tel 03000 413567.   Details in Bake House and Library.
Laura can be contacted on her mobile phone 07969 583922.

Mick reminded the meeting that by using the internet and typing in DVLA and a vehicle reg number it can be quickly determined if a vehicle is taxed.

Members' Questions:
A dance school had been set up in Westbury Road, and in spite of objections from neighbours just a few feet away had been passed on the grounds that it would be good for children.   Had sound proofing been a requirement it could have made a considerable difference for local residents' quality of life.  Cllr Mick Tomlinson agreed to follow this up.

CHAIRMAN'S REPORT.
1) Annual New Year Lunch.  Mick congratulated the organisers on an excellent event which had been enjoyed by all.
2) Local Plan.  This is to cover the next thirty years, and includes the removal of Manston Airport from the plan.  Residents are invited to make their comment. Don Eacott expressed concern that the same consultants were used for the plan as were employed by the building developers for Manston.  The local plan is on line.  Thanet now has 9,500 new builds (dwellings) to come, several members expressed concern about an adequate water supply.  On Wednesday there is a drop in at King Ethelbert School.  Cllr Dave Morrish felt the consultation was confusing, and the WTC would be carefully considering objections.  There is to be a meeting at Westgate Pavilion on 4th March.  


CORRESPONDENCE
1) Parking on Yellow Lines at the T junction of Lymington and Linksfield Roads.  This is causing problems for residents and making it difficult or impossible for emergency vehicles such as fire engines to reach certain areas. There is also a grade 2 listed flint wall in poor condition nearby.
2) Police Community Messages (by email).  These include warnings about cold callers looking to repair faults on resident' roofs, loan sharks, vehicle thefts, and scam phone calls purporting to be from BT to reduce certain charges and requesting bank details to do this.  Never give bank details out over the phone.  There have been bogus callers claiming to be from Dyno Rod working in the area and needing entry to check water pressures.  The police are pleased to say they have had good success in arresting a number of burglars, vandals, and people with knives and guns.    

PLANNING  
1) 39, Elm Grove.  Application for single storey side/rear extension and rear dormer window following demolition of garage.
2) 102, St Mildred's Road.  Application for erection of single storey rear extension.
3) 225, Canterbury Road.  Formation of vehicular access.  GRANTED.
4) 9, Pembroke Avenue.  Single storey rear extension and UPVC windows and porch. Permission GRANTED.
5) 147, Sea Road.  Application for erection of decking to rear garden. 
6) 11, Westonville Avenue. Application for erection of garage and flat above following demolition of existing garage and roof alterations.  REFUSED.
7) 139,  Sea Road.  Application for erection of two storey side extension, and side and rear extensions, enlargement of balcony area to front, and alterations to front fenestrations.  CALLED IN.
8) 3, Lymington Road.  Application for installation of extraction flue to rear.
1) 93 – 95 Canterbury Road (Goodwins).  Change of use of warehouse to mixed storage unit factory workshop and office space. Cladding on front elevation. GRANTED.
2) 1 – 16 Turnstones Court.  Replacement of windows and doors.  GRANTED.
3) 17, Meadow Road.  Application for erection of two storey side and front extensions, single storey rear, and dormers to front and rear following demolition of existing garage and conservatory.
4) 32, Station Road.  Change of use of land for use as garden for the nursery school.
5) 4, Queens Road.  Erection of single storey rear extension.  GRANTED.

TREASURER'S REPORT   
In the absence of Sam  Secomb there was no report.

EDITOR'S REPORT
Muriel Atkins reported that the next magazine issue will be in March.  

SUNSHINE REPORT
No report, except that Mavis is unwell.

MEMBERSHIP
Christina had no special items to report.




CIVIC REPORT
Westgate Heritage Centre:  Next meeting is Saturday 4th March at St Saviour's Church at 10.30am when the AGM will take place, followed by a short talk by Dr Dawn Crouch about the pews of St Saviour's Church.

Margate Civic Society: Next meeting is Thursday 2nd March when a talk will be given by Lee Ault “Rites of Passage: Birth, Marriage and Mourning”.


SOCIAL 
1) Music Quiz.  This was offered by Chairman Mick Tomlinson
2) Lunch at the Swan.  Next one 26th February.  

ANY OTHER BUSINESS
1) Pancake Race.  In answer to enquiries it is hoped to reinstate this by 2018.
2) Bridge Road Car for Sale.  This had been observed again, and as well as taking up road space it was not fair on valid traders who pay their rent.  Mick Tomlinson agreed to follow  this up.
3) Westbrook Avenue Grass Verge Parking.  This appeared to be happening again, KCC had already booked quite a few offenders.  
4) Rubble in Westbrook Road.  Chris Wyer reported rubble on the road, skips, and parking on yellow lines.  
5) Committee.  It had been reported that a member of the  committee had been overheard to criticize the other members in a certain way, but the chairman said these things can be taken out of context, and the committee memberss work very hard, and any disharmony should be avoided.  The chairman said that he would look into and try to resolve the problem.  



NEXT MEETING
 Monday 13th March, at the Westbrook Bowls Club, 7.00pm for 7.15pm. 


There being no other business the meeting concluded at 9.00pm.