Saturday, 16 January 2016









Richard Charlton, (chair), twenty one members, Thanet District Cllr Ash Ashbee (arrived towards end of meeting due to TDC duties), Westgate Town Cllrs Ash Ashbee, and Richard Charlton.


The chairman welcomed all to the meeting.



Apologies had been received from TDC Cllrs Carol Partington and Ash Ashbee (who expected to arrive late), also from KCC Warden Laura Bungard, and Joan Austin.



1)      “Volunteers” Organisation. The cheque had been returned to them. No reply had been received to  date.

2)      Railway Footbridge Lights.  An email had been sent to the PA of the Chief Executive as the lights are the responsibility of the TDC.  Dog mess on the bridge is not cleared as the TDC sweepers do not cover Rail Track property.

3)      Dog Bone Markings near Bowls Club.  These are now only put in specially, and a letter from a community group such as the W&WRA is required so that a local councillor can follow this up.  Ash Ashbee had offered to follow this up once the letter was available.

4)      Bin by Library.  This had been removed, nobody present knew where it had gone.  



The minutes of the last meeting, (14th December 2015), which had been circulated, were adopted on a prop. by Ray Taylor seconded by Tony Sykes.



1)      Post Boxes.  Tony Snow suggested a letter be sent to Royal Mail from the W&WRA.  Chris Wyer said articles in the press may help put pressure on them.  Richard reported that the Victorian letter box by the old Lockwoods site will be built into the wall of one of the new houses. 

2)      Road Safety.  Jane reported that Cllr Ash Ashbee and Warden Laura Bungard are monitoring accidents in Westgate Bay Avenue.  There had been an accident in St Mildred's Road during the week.

3)      Refuse/Recycling.  Members felt in general somewhat confused by the arrangements over Christmas which had caused a few problems.






WTC Cllr Richard Charlton:

1)      Westgate-on-Sea Town Council.  Various items have been discussed and there is to be a special meeting in January regarding budgets.  It is  hoped to provide an additional road sweeper for the areas the TDC sweepers do not do.  Details from the meeting will be brought to the next W&WRA general meeting in February.






1)      36, Westgate Bay Avenue.  Application for permission to build several dwellings. Chris Wyer said that Westgate CAAG thought this was a better design than the first application except there was no provision for (off road) parking.  Richard said he would check the planning requirements for parking.



The previous year's accounts had not as yet been formally adopted, and the question arose as to whether the financial year end was too close to the AGM to allow time for the accounts to be completed and audited.  Richard then proposed, seconded by Don Eacott that the accounts be adopted subject to the two queries from James and Sylvia being answered in due course.  The majority were in favour, none against and there were four abstentions.  Richard said he would inform the meeting next month of the  auditor's details. 



Derek will be preparing the next magazine, after which he is stepping down, and Mike Linder will then be taking over.



Those present were not aware of any member(s) who were poorly at present.



Christina reported that to date there were 458 single members and 420 double memberships.  Unpaid memberships were 34 and 8 respectively.  New members joining and paying the subscription now would receive membership for the coming year.



Margate Civic Society. Next meeting at the Walpole Bay Hotel is on Thursday 4th February 7.30pm when there will be a talk on the history of fans and parasols by Lee Ault.


Westgate Heritage Centre.  Saturday 6th  February at St Saviour's Church 10.30am when there will be an illustrated talk by James Brazier about the Faversham Munitions Explosion which took place one hundred years ago.



Jane reported:

1)      Christmas Fish and Chip Parties.  These had been held at lunch time and in the evening, altogether thirty eight members had attended, and the  money spent had been raised in the raffle.

2)      New Year Lunch.  Eighty six members had enjoyed this, the food was excellent.  The raffle had made £247, and Jane thanked Ray and Christina for their work with the raffle, and also the tea ladies for selling some of the tickets.

3)      Romantic Themed Quiz.  Friday 12th February, venue Bake House or Bowls club.

4)      Wingham Wildlife Trip.  Friday 19th February with Carol Peters £7.50.

5)      Sunday Lunch at The Swan.  21st February.

6)      Secret Garden, Sandwich.  Trip and tea with Carol Peters £23.

7)      April/May.  Local trips with the minibus.


Jane invited further ideas and suggestions, and was warmly thanked  by those present for her hard work.   




1)      Coast.  Tony Sykes reported on a) Fly-tipping.  Four settees had been  dumped but very promptly removed by TDC.  b)Winter seasonal bird visitors, the Turnstones and Red Shanks, their numbers had reduced by 50% and they needed minimum disturbance whilst they fed on the beaches before returning to the north to breed.  c)  Westbrook undercliff town green, the bumble bee conservation trust will be working here, more details to follow.

2)      Red Zebra Community Solutions.  Richard reported that there was to be a funding event in Ramsgate on 26th January, and asked if anyone could attend and report back. 

3)      Community Safety Partnership.  The W&WRA had received a questionnaire seeking local views during January.  Details will be in the Bake House.

4)      The Queen's forthcoming 90th birthday.  A letter from the High Sheriff had been sent encouraging communities in celebrations such as tea parties, and the beacons will probably be lit.

5)      Beam by Westbrook Cafe.  Don Eacott pointed out that this had become dangerous, and Ash agreed to follow this up.

6)      Spare Clothes for People in Need.  Bob Loxley asked where clothes could  go so that they went directly to the needy.  The best place was thought  to be St Pauls, Cliftonville.

7)      Westgate Community Centre.  Easter Event 26th March,  Volunteers urgently required for teas and coffees, crafts tombola and games.  Family Day 11th September hopefully will go ahead but TDC have not made their inspection regarding health and safety of the area.

8)      Proposed Retail Units on Land by Railway.  Ash offered to investigate this.  It was thought that during clearance the station platform had become unstable.

9)      Birchington Ukulele Band.  Ray thanked the band and all who contributed to the Help the Heroes collection which came to around £50.

10)  Westgate Against Rubbish.  This group is meeting outside the station at 10.00am  on Saturday, helpers welcome.

11)  Pancake Races.  It is hoped these will go ahead again this year, but TDC has had problems with the Health and Safety Executive and are now very fussy about voluntary events and risk assessments.

12)  8, St Mildred's Road.  It was pointed out that the wall here appeared to be dangerous, the CAAG had written to TDC who were aware.





 Monday 8th February, at the Town Hall Buildings, Westgate, 7.00pm for 7.15pm.




There being no other business the meeting concluded at 8.52pm.



No comments:

Post a Comment